Amy Yastrop retires after 25 years

Amy Yastrop will retire from Emmaus High School following the conclusion of the 2023-24 school year. After working as a learning support teacher for 25 years and specializing in teaching both math and social studies, Yastrop looks back fondly on her years at Emmaus. 

“I have such great memories from here, and most of them center around the students I work with and the wonderful staff and faculty,” Yastrop said. “Just seeing the kids learn has been such a great reward for me.”

Making a difference and helping students learn, motivated Yastrop to teach these past 25 years at EHS. Her innovative style and passion allowed her to leave an impact not only on the students but also on the teachers. 

Alison Horner, a special education teacher at EHS, acknowledges Yastrop’s influence on her teaching career.

“She has inspired me to be a better teacher. She is always doing fun and interesting activities with our students and tries to push the envelope,” Horner said. “She has opened so many opportunities for the students because of her never-ending drive.”

Yastrop has been involved in many activities at EHS through the years. She started the Hornet Perks Coffee Business, which is now run by Horner, and was a member of the Key Club. Yastrop has helped out the Twilight Program which is now known as Hive. This program is for students in grades 10-12 who are making up credits after the school day to stay on track for graduation. Along with these other clubs and programs, Yastrop has helped out with the extended school year program which is a special education service.                                                                                   

Mrs. Yastrop is a great teacher and colleague. She is very hard-working, and you can always count on her to be a team player,” Horner said. “She has an amazing memory and knows every student’s schedule, can remember how we did things years ago, and can remember every little fact.” 

Yastrop has helped build up the learning support program. She constantly strives to make her students the best they can be and supports them through their journey. 

Following her retirement, Yastrop is thrilled to embark on a new chapter of her life. She plans to move to the Poconos to grow her hobbies, such as hiking and kayaking, while also planning to spend time with her children. 

Although planning to retire, Yastrop enjoys reminiscing about the good times she had at EHS. She is fond of all the thrilling memories and adventures she has experienced during her years of teaching.

“A lot of the trips we’ve taken, hands-on things we’ve done, and just being a part of the school community has been wonderful,” Yastrop said. 

It is clear that Yastrop’s impact has been widespread at EHS, and her presence will be missed.

“Mrs. Yastrop has made a difference in so many of our students’ lives,” Horner said. “Without her, many of them [students] wouldn’t have been as successful as they have been. She has also been a mentor to so many of our learning support teachers.”

View Comments (1)