EHS Administration presents Underclassmen Awards

Canva by Sam Beadle

On May 24, Emmaus High School administration presented the winners for the annual Underclassmen Awards. Led by Principal Beth Guarriello and assistant principals Jordan Fortier, Nicole D’Emilio, Marc Zimmerman, and Tabitha Rodriguez, the event showcased the achievements of freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in their academic and elective achievements. 

First in the lineup were the special achievement awards, honoring students with significant academic and personal accomplishments. Social studies teacher Pam Hunter announced the winner of the Paul Rockwell Diely Memorial Award, in memory of Hunter’s father who worked at the school during the 1980s. The award honors a freshman exemplifying academic excellence in social studies and English courses and was awarded to Avery Berger. 

The next award presented was presented by Hugh Boyd, leader of the Lehigh Valley West Point Academy Chapter. He presented the Dwight D. Eisenhower Award for “displaying leadership” to junior Jackson Kreiner. 

Next, the Rochester Institute of Technology’s award was handed to junior Ethan Bachofer, who will receive a $19,000 scholarship to the school per year. Rensselaer Institute of Technology also presented their award to junior Larshee Nyinyi, who will also receive a scholarship. 

Several Emmaus-specific awards were also handed out. The Citizenship Award was presented to multiple students: freshman Magdalena Carolla, juniors Ayaan Shah, Gabe Meyers, Katerina Starry, Cami Knight, and Annamarie Paulino. The School Spirit Award was also given to several students, including freshman Carter Teti and Harper Sisonick, sophomores Jocelyn Spengler and Thomas McDonald, juniors Teddy Garvin, Jabari Howard and Kaylee Harinsky, Owen Heffner, and Bryan Kain. Additionally, the Service above Self Award was given to several students who showcase their ability to help others selflessly. Given to students Anna Chavolla-Ramirez, Brooke DiGiacomo, Kamryn Vogel, Jessi Hahn, Thure Thompson, Paige Shickel, Alexandria Keen, Sydney Schaadt, and Sadie Wallace. 

Department awards were also presented to deserving EHS students, who were nominated and selected from a group. The categories were as follows: 

Art: crafts, printmaking, drawing/painting

Business: business law, personal finance, visual communication, accounting, marketing, investing, microsoft office and powerpoint 

English: writing, theater arts, literature, creative voice, broadcast/film

Health/wellness-fitness: advanced health, aquatics, health, wellness-fitness

Math: algebra 1, algebra ½ double block, algebra 2, computer science, calculus, geometry, math analysis, pre-calculus, probability/statistics

Music: band, chorus, musical, orchestral leadership

Science: engaged citizenship, biology, chemistry, earth/space science, environmental science, Global science inquiry, resilience/creativity in science 

Social studies: American studies 1, American studies 2, world studies 

Technology education: architecture, drafting, engineering, engineering technology, graphics, home maintenance, photography, power technology 

World language: French, German, Spanish, Latin