Brendan Baig

Photo courtesy of Baig.

Belle Lees, Former Deputy News Editor

Throughout high school, Class of 2021 President Brendan Baig became very involved in the EHS community. He joined Habitat for Humanity, became a track team manager this year, was part of the Red Cross Club for two years, participated in cross country for three years, and founded Students Advocating Vape Elimination (SAVE). Before he graduates, he hopes to establish a way for different clubs to work together to accomplish their goals.

Baig will attend the California Institute of the Arts to major in music composition, specifically the composition of experimental sound practices. After college, he wants to work in the film industry as a music composer. 

Stinger: What is your favorite high school memory?

Baig: I would say my favorite, it’s funny, it would actually be from my freshman year. I would say, gosh, the student exchange program overall. I would say meeting the other five students who were there, who were part of, kind of, this trip overall, this exchange program. And really interacting with them, becoming their friends over in Europe. And kind of being just in their environment and kind of just talking about things that happen at home, new things that we’re experiencing every day over there. Just kind of new ways of life. I think really just spending time meeting new people from Emmaus High School. Of course, meeting people from Germany also in that time in Europe was, quite, I’ll say lovely to say the least. 

Stinger: What is the hardest class you’ve ever taken?

Baig: Oh, this is a good one. I would say probably one I took this year over my first semester. I would say probably AP Music Theory. That’s quite challenging. 

Stinger: What was the hardest part of adjusting to online school? 

Baig: So, many things first of all, but if I had to narrow it down, I would probably say breakout rooms. Every time I would go there, it’s always awkward when you try to talk to people and they don’t want to talk back. And also, of course, not seeing your friends in person, so I think missing that aspect, that social aspect as well. 

Stinger: Did you pick up any new hobbies during quarantine? 

Baig: Yeah, this one’s interesting. So I would say baking. I started baking a lot of stuff. That’s a new hobby, actually, of mine now. It’s been quite fun.

Stinger: What’s your favorite thing to bake?

Baig: I’d say really, I would say cakes. Any cake in general: chocolate, carrot cake. There’s so many things you can do with cakes. I just love cake in general. 

Stinger: How do you think you’ve changed since freshman year?

Baig: Oh man, I think quite a lot. I think one of the things, I think for me that probably the biggest difference is that, kind of just taking charge in terms of what I want to do. So really kind of setting up my goals and actually accomplishing them. I think that’s the biggest difference. 

Stinger: What do you want to be remembered for?

Baig: I guess, so one of the things I talked [about] at the 9th Grade Experience Podcast [on Episode 29 of Season Three] with Mr. Stuchko, so it was kind of the same question, like, ‘oh, what do you want your legacy to kind of be like?’ as well. So I guess what I would do, just to kind of keep consistent, I’ll answer along those lines. So, I think for me, one of the things, something I want to leave behind, at least for Emmaus High School, I just want to show really What you put into it is what you get out. So if you put in the effort, you put in the work, you want to see the results. I think if you have a desire for it and you have a belief in yourself that these things can be accomplished, you will see the results happen. Good things will happen if you keep pushing forward. that it’s possible that whatever you want to do, in terms of what do you want to set out for, that it is entirely within you and it is possible to be achieved. So I think just the idea of that there are so many things that maybe you have in your mind that ‘oh, I want to do this and that’ and you think it might be out of your reach. But I think just knowing that it is within your reach and you totally can do it. I think that’s the main thing I want to leave behind: [it] is showing that yes, it is possible that you can get this done. So hopefully it does inspire people later on, so I hope that’s possible.

Stinger: Do you have any advice for underclassmen? 

Baig: Yeah, so I keep referring back to this podcast I did, but I guess just again to kind of keep the same message of consistency. I guess my biggest thing is that for any underclassmen, current [students], alumni, or whoever’s coming, I think it’s useful for everyone, is that, really, it is kind of anything you put into pretty much school or it could just be very much life in general. That even though crazy stuff will happen in your life that you’ll be like ‘How did this happen? Why did this happen?’ The best thing you can do is just say ‘stuff happens’ and just move forward and just create a new path for yourself. So I think that’s, I guess, my advice for underclassmen.