Michael Iacobelli

Photo courtesy of Wesley Works.

Devon Helmer, Managing Editor

Michael Iacobelli has glided through his past four years at EHS, acting as a key member of the men’s swim team and participating on the track and field team. After graduation, Iacobelli is attending Boston University where he plans to pursue a double major in political science and economics on a pre-law track. 

Outside of the pool and off of the track, Iacobelli dove head-first into his involvement in the EHS community. In addition to his athletic involvements, he served as a member of NHS, President of Orchestra, and Treasurer of SGA. Swimming since the age of 8, Iacobelli is taking his swimming career to the collegiate level in Division 1 athletics at Boston University this fall. 

Stinger: What was your greatest accomplishment from high school swim?

Iacobelli: I would have to say our team placing second at states this year. I think my favorite accomplishments are the ones that are done as a team, not the individual ones. Team achievements are much more valuable than what you can do on your own. The team that beat us is LaSalle College High School, which is a private school; people at states were saying that we were the number one public school in the state of Pennsylvania, which is super exciting.

Stinger: What is your favorite high school memory?

Iacobelli: Our sophomore year [swim] team sleepover; this is a moment that really stands out to me. First and foremost, a lot of us were there together and it allowed us to bond in a healthy and happy way. We were able to connect better and I really think it changed the trajectory for us to be successful at the end of the season. It was one of our better seasons and I think that it has even carried over to help in our future seasons, including getting 2nd [place] at states this year. I think the team comradery from that moment propelled us forward.

Stinger: Who was the teacher who had the greatest impact on you during your time at EHS and why?

Iacobelli: Mr. Pum; he’s absolutely hilarious and made last year so enjoyable. He’s fantastic. If you get the opportunity to have him as a teacher, don’t take it for granted. Up until the beginning of my junior year, I was still set on pursuing medicine as a career. I loved Mr. Pum’s AP Government class; it got me increasingly interested in U.S. History and constitutional law. I think he really helped point me toward something that I would be happy doing for the rest of my life; it completely changed my outlook and my plans for college and the future. I also realized my hands are a little too shaky for surgery.

Stinger: If you could go back in time and give one piece of advice to your freshman self, what would you say?

Iacobelli: It’s okay to make mistakes–not getting the best grade on every assignment or test. I say that because there’s always bounce-back and room to improve. Mistakes are just a fact of life; they’re going to happen, you have to use them to grow and move on. A lot of people feel like they’re perfectionists, but it’s okay not to be perfect. It’s okay to make mistakes. It’s okay to get a bad grade. It’s okay to mess up. It’s okay to ask for help.

Stinger: What is your greatest takeaway from your atypical senior year?

Iacobelli: At first, I was a little disappointed with the direction our senior year was going. I soon realized that I would much rather have an atypical senior year than atypical college years. Thanks to the vaccine, that everyone should get by the way, it’s looking up. Thanks to the fact that my school, Boston University, is requiring students to get vaccinated to come to campus this fall, I will be able to have a much more normal college experience. I’m grateful that this is all happening now, instead of the seniors last year who got a chance at a normal first year of college taken away from them.

Stinger: What are you most looking forward to in continuing your athletic career at Boston University?

Iacobelli: I am most excited about trying to help a team be successful and move up in the conference standings. I’m looking forward to being part of a new group and being able to challenge myself in an environment where everyone is at the same competitive level. I’m also super excited for all the perks that come with D1 athletics; lots of free stuff and I like it. 

Stinger: Any last comments?

Iacobelli: To the people that actually read this: just try and enjoy your time at Emmaus, it will be over before you know it. The short [amount of] time that you have here is going to breeze by. It feels like it was just yesterday that I was in my freshman orientation; I still remember it vividly.