Jade Poit

Photo+courtesy+of+Wesley+Works.+

Photo courtesy of Wesley Works.

Saraya Velez, Former Deputy Sports Editor

Keeping up with the latest fashion trends and showing off her creative style is something Jade Poit has done her entire high school career. As an active member of Buzz Magazine, she indirectly and unofficially took on a leadership role by helping significantly with photoshoots and articles. 

She will be attending Kent State University in the fall with an intended major of fashion design with a minor in costume design. Following college, she aspires to become a stylist with a famous clientele. 

Stinger: What about your senior year do you feel you missed out on the most?

Poit: Missing the football games has really been a bummer and something I never really thought I’d miss. Maybe it’s just the thought of what we could have had like actually having a seat on the bleachers and socially interacting I guess. Apart from that, something that I really missed out on was my AP Studio Art class. A big part of creating art is being able to work in a creative environment, receiving feedback from others, and observing other artists. Missing out on that sucks. 

Stinger: What got you into the arts and fashion?

Poit: I’ve always been interested in the more creative sides of things I think. Drawing I picked up on at a young age whether I was just recreating my favorite cartoon characters or covering my arms in sharpie with doodles when I was bored in class. As for fashion, my mom was always a big inspiration in that. I remember her always dressing up. She would never even leave the house without a pair of heels so of course I wanted to be like her and always dress up too. My interest in wanting to develop and design my own pieces came later. 

Stinger: What was your favorite high school memory?

Poit: Probably the school dances. Being able to dress up and have all my friends over beforehand so we could do makeup and hair and listen to music was always the best. 

Stinger: What is a song that describes your high school career?

Poit: Maybe the song “Weird!” by Yungblud. I think for obvious reasons but overall, I think I listened to Panic! At the Disco the most. They were a band I really loved throughout high school.

Stinger: What won’t you miss about EHS?

Poit: I really didn’t have too many bad times, personally. I guess waking up early and actually getting to school was always the hardest part for me. 

Stinger: What excites you most about college?

Poit: Everything honestly. Getting to meet new people and be in a different environment from this same one I’ve known will be exciting. Also, being able to specifically study [fashion] and be surrounded by other passionate, like-minded people I think will be amazing and inspiring. 

Stinger: If you could go back and change one thing, what would it be?

Poit: Some of the people I chose to surround myself with wasted a lot of my time honestly. I’m not sure if that’s something I could change though because going through friends and finding who you fit with best, personality wise, is just a normal part of growing up I think. 

Stinger: If you could have changed the mascot to be any other living creature besides a hornet, what would it have been?

Poit: Probably my cat. Shout out to Mr. Meow Meow.

Stinger: Who do you see as your role model?

Poit: Layne Shaffer. She’s pretty cool I guess. 

Stinger: What was the toughest part about your senior year?

Poit: Definitely just the same as anyone else I would say. Being online and not even leaving bed in the morning has been really different. I’d definitely say it’s made us all stronger, you know, persevering through such a strange time in our lives.