Ellie Urenko

Photo courtesy of Wesley Works.

Madison Mauro, Former Opinion Editor

Ellie Urenko’s four years at Emmaus High School has consisted of laughs, leadership, and memories that will last a lifetime. Aside from being a devout president of Key Club, she also actively participates in Student Government, Red Cross Club, Hornet Ambassadors, National Honors Society, and Spanish National Honors Society, as well as her club dance team. In the fall, she will be attending Bucknell University to study finance and minoring in mathematics and dance. Urenko hopes to become a corporate or financial lawyer to follow her goal of advocating for those in need. 

Stinger: What are you passionate about?

Urenko: I have an older brother with autism and that has always been a major role in my life. Helping others with disabilities is something I’m really passionate about and something that I want to continue to do. 

Stinger: How long have you been dancing?

Urenko: I’ve been dancing for 15 years. I started when I was really young. I don’t really remember starting. My parents say I’ve always been dancing and I really fell in love with it as I continued. 

Stinger: How has dance impacted your life?

Urenko: It’s definitely a space and outlet for me. I can express myself through dance and leave everything else that I’ve been working on behind. I can push myself in a different way than I do when I’m in school. I also think it’s instilled a strong work ethic and drive [in me]. It takes a lot of persistence to dance for that long. 

Stinger: Who is your biggest inspiration?

Urenko:  My brother. I’ve watched him persevere in everything he does throughout my whole life. It’s something so special and it’s inspired me to work hard in everything I do and be grateful for what I have because I know [that] others don’t have those opportunities.

Stinger: What motivates you?

Urenko: I’m motivated by knowing my goals and working towards them. I want to do the best I can. Pushing myself to get to that point is something that motivates me everyday to work toward my fullest potential.

Stinger: What will you miss most about Emmaus?

Urenko: I definitely would say the bonds [that] I’ve formed with different people in clubs. Key Club and Student Government have been two big things I’ve been a part of. I’ve gotten to meet so many amazing people in all of the different clubs and I’ve had awesome advisors. The community in Emmaus I’ll definitely miss.

Stinger:  What’s been the toughest part about your senior year? 

Urenko: Obviously it’s not the ideal circumstances to have our senior year during the pandemic and mostly everything virtual. Not getting to experience the things you’ve been looking forward to with your friends is hard… but we’ve found different ways to make the best of it.

Stinger: How about the easiest part?

Urenko: Having online [classes] I’ve had a lot of time after school to work on my college apps and see friends and family. That was a good part of senior year.

Stinger: Any advice to underclassmen?

Urenko: I would say to work hard throughout all four years at Emmaus and to believe in yourself. You can achieve the goals that you have for yourself during high school and beyond. 

Stinger: Describe your high school experience in three words.

Urenko: Community. The different clubs and activities I’ve been involved in, there’s been a strong sense of community in those activities and in me. Rewarding. Now that I’ve decided on a college, and I’m so excited to go there, it’s really rewarding to see all of your hard work pay off. Unique. Obviously, the past two years, almost half of high school, has been affected by the pandemic. Things weren’t normal. It took some adjustment but everything worked out well in the end and I’m happy with how I’ve spent my time.