Kyle McKiernan

Photo courtesy of McKiernan.

Lauren Riazzi, Sports Editor

With the 2020-2021 school year coming to a close, student-athlete Kyle McKiernan prepares to bid a farewell to his fellow students and teammates before continuing his academic and athletic career at Elizabethtown College.

During his time at Emmaus High School, McKiernan was a part of the boys’ volleyball team and participated in the Interact Club his freshman through junior years.

Stinger: Did you play on any volleyball teams outside of EHS?

McKiernan: I did. So this year I played on a club [team] called Velocity, but halfway through the season, my parents pulled me out because of my grandma. My mom’s the number one caregiver for [her] so we were really worried about her getting COVID, so I couldn’t participate.

Stinger: Do you play any other sports?

McKiernan: Well, I used to play basketball and flag football, but basically just volleyball now.

Stinger: What made you want to start playing volleyball?

McKiernan: My friend back in middle school. I had no intention of playing, but he just pulled me aside one day and he said, “Oh we should really join the volleyball team. It’ll be real, like, a lot of fun.” Ever since that moment, I just loved it and have been doing it ever since.

Stinger: What do you believe is your biggest accomplishment in volleyball or just in general?

McKiernan: Well, right now it’s probably winning the EPC game yesterday, but I mean we still have a lot of goals to achieve this season like winning states and districts.

Stinger: How has COVID impacted you both athletically and academically?

McKiernan: Academically, it’s really affected me because I really miss going to school. I loved going to school and seeing all my friends. Now it’s just waking up [and] doing Zoom from your bed. I mean, it’s kind of nice but then it’s kind of not if that makes sense. Then, athletically it really affected me, especially with my club season, because I couldn’t play half the season. And then at the beginning of this year for high school [volleyball], we got shut down for a week, so we didn’t have any practices or anything and our games [were] canceled. So yeah, it’s been a big hustle for us, but we’ve come to manage it.

Stinger: Who has been your biggest inspiration?

McKiernan: Probably my dad. Just because he’s always there for me and gives me support in my games and stuff.  

Stinger: What are you most excited about moving into your college years?

McKiernan: I’m really excited about my new roommate because we’ve been friends– volleyball friends–since middle school so I’m really excited about that. I’m also just excited to play college volleyball because it’s the next level.

Stinger: Do you have any plans for after college?

McKiernan: I’m going to E-Town to major in education, so hopefully I’ll be a teacher afterward.

Stinger: Do you have any words of wisdom for the students at EHS?

McKiernan: I’d say don’t take your time for granted. I think I was only in [pre-COVID] school for two and a half years. You just have to [go to] a bunch of events like homecoming, football games, and stuff like that because time goes by really fast in high school.