Krissy Heilenman

Photo courtesy of Wesley Works.

Thomas Hartill, Former Editor in Chief

Krissy Heilenman may not have started high school with journalism in mind, but during her time with The Stinger, she has made some of her favorite high school memories. Her time at Emmaus has been defined by trying new things and remembering to enjoy high school while it lasts.

Heilenman plans on attending Wake Forest University in North Carolina, where she will major in mathematical economics with a minor in history. After college, she is open to the possibility of going into business or law school.

Stinger: How do you feel you have changed since freshman year?

Heilenman: I feel like I’ve definitely just matured a lot, and since the beginning of freshman year I’ve kind of been more comfortable with who I am. I don’t really care as much about what people think. I kind of make decisions based on what I want to do and not what other people want to do.

Stinger: Who was your favorite teacher? Why?

Heilenman: The obvious answer is Ms. Reaman. She’s just helped me a lot throughout high school, and I honestly don’t know what I’d do without her. Whether it’s helping me with my writing in journalism or just her room being a safe space to come to. She’s just the best.

Stinger: Do you have a favorite memory with Ms. Reaman?

Heilenman: My sophomore year, that was the first year I was really into newspapers, I was in her room all the time. And then with track I did hurdles, and her husband, coach Wiragh, was my hurdles coach. So I would always joke with her how they were my school family, because I would have Ms. Reaman all during the day and her husband all at night during track.

Stinger: What will you miss the most about high school?

Heilenman: The routine, because right now I’m in like a set routine. I’ve been used to it for so long, and next year it’s going to be completely new going eight hours away and being around all new people.

Stinger: What will you miss the least about high school?

Heilenman: Probably the early mornings and the long school days. They get very tiring. Especially the past two days. I’ve gone from school, to newspaper, to track, and I would do that everyday last year. But because I haven’t done it in so long, it just feels so long and tiring.

Stinger: What is your favorite project you worked on for The Stinger?

Heilenman: I actually really liked writing columns, because it’s just you writing what you feel, what you think, and it’s just more personal. I wrote one on the importance of 9/11 and [the importance of] writing letters to friends during COVID. Those are probably my favorites that I’ve done so far.

Stinger: What is one of the most important lessons you learned in high school?

Heilenman: That school isn’t everything, and it’s important to also go out and do things. I feel like I put a lot of pressure on myself to always get good grades and try really hard, but it’s also important to go out and hang out with friends and have a normal high school experience.

Stinger: Any last comments or advice for underclassmen?

Heilenman: Don’t be afraid to try new things. I started high school never taking journalism. I wasn’t planning on taking it. I had Ms. Reaman for English class and she convinced me to apply [to The Stinger], and it really turned into something that I love.