From the sidelines: Emmaus deserves this year’s spotlight

Photo by Maximus McGrath.

Joey Draper, Staff Writer

Emmaus High School football has always been known for having talent on its roster. Notable graduates like Kevin and Kyzir White, who are now in the NFL, might be the best to ever put on the Emmaus jersey. 

Looking at the 2020 Emmaus football roster, names like Chad Newhard, Jameel Sanders, and Tanner Ritter, come to mind. While reflecting, arguably, I feel that Newhard, Sanders, and Ritter stand out as some of the most talented players to ever step foot on the field.

I see the Emmaus players work hard every day at practice, and their mentality is next-man-up. I knew everyone’s capabilities, and I knew Emmaus could be something special in 2021. Emmaus’ youth was ready to step up into the spotlight; players who were used to playing JV now have their chance on the varsity level. 

The question asked in the offseason, however, was: how would Emmaus replace that wide receiver (WR) core? 

Players like Chase Fotta and Jaiden Robinson are now the two main WR’s and Tyson Karrat is an option as well on the Hornets roster. Already making an impact this season is Jaiden Robinson, who found the endzone twice in week one and scored once in week two; he is really making a difference in his senior year. Robinson did see varsity time last season, but his impact on the field is even better this year. 

Chase Fotta, a junior, is also making an impact this season. Fotta doesn’t have a touchdown to his name yet, but he has made some big-time catches when Emmaus needed them. In week two against Freedom, Fotta secured a 25-yard catch that helped the Hornets get into the endzone later that drive. In the game against Whitehall, Fotta laid out and made a diving catch for a gain of over 20 yards that would help the Hornets set up in the red zone.

Tyson Karrat hasn’t gotten the numbers he’s wanted this season. However, in week one, a 30-yard catch helped the Hornets score. Karrat also had to get in some reps as quarterback (QB) during practice, and I tell you what, he impressed me. 

With the season-ending injury to Jake Fotta, Josiah Wiliams and Gavin Newhart are the only other two QBs on the roster. Karrat stepped into the role confidently, and took reps just so the Hornets coaching staff could weigh their options. Williams continues to be QB1 for the Emmaus offense, but it’s always good to have options. Roster depth is so important, and Emmaus is finding that out this season. 

Always at the top of the district, wide receivers play an important role in having a successful offense. It appears as if they are the core of Emmaus and are going to be strong for years to come.