Girls soccer feels confident about season

Emmaus players form a defensive wall to protect their goal at the game against Northampton. Emmaus beat Northampton with a score of 3-0 at the game on Sept. 8. Photo by Alice Adams.

Lauren Riazzi, Sports Editor

This previously ran in our September 2021 print issue.

With the fall sports season well underway, the Emmaus High School girls soccer team has made it clear that they are here to stay. 

The team has worked together and put their leadership to the test, bringing the team to four and one following their game against Bethlehem Catholic where both strong defense and offense were represented. 

“I think that having an older group last year helped us because it let our younger girls learn more about leadership,” said senior Kameron Watkins. “Now that we have a young team, that everyone’s prepared for everything that’s going on, and that we’re all being leaders as a group.”

Although the team is proud of how they have worked in order to build their leadership, in the past and in the present, there is still some work to be done in order to make sure everyone is on the same page.

“We all have our aspects as a forward group,” said senior Kaitlyn Ewing. “Sometimes we’re separated, not really coordinated together. I think today was really great. We all worked really well together, but . . . it could be better.”

At the end of the day, the team is playing strong and is expected to do great things throughout the rest of this season. The team is focused on always making sure they put out their best work no matter where they are or who their opponent is. 

“The team is playing great so far,” said senior Hannah Yencho. “Every day, whether it’s at practice or games, we come out to play and ready to go, right from the start. 

“We work together as a team and we are always focused on our practices, so we are ready to go for game days,” said Yencho.