Give us a break! Workload leads to overwhelmed kids

Graphic courtesy of Canva.

Mackenzie Huffer, Opinion Contributor

This previously ran in our April 2022 print issue.

When it comes to students’ workload, opinions vary. Some see benefits to decent amounts of work while others argue there are more negative effects.

There are studies showing far more negative effects including studies conducted by Stanford University proving 56% of students considered homework their primary source of stress. Students range from children to teenagers, so should they really be having this much stress? According to Oxford University, students are already burnt out from the school day so the supposed benefits don’t help anymore. 

“The hours logged in class, and the hours logged on schoolwork can lead to students feeling overwhelmed and unmotivated,” Oxford says.

Stanford University also says reductions in health and sleep deprivation have also been seen. Oxford discovered poor eating habits form due to the fact students are spending more time on their school work. In addition to their health and well-being, Stanford shows there is less time for friends, family, and extracurriculars. It’s important for them to have strong relationships and with loads of work getting in their way during what’s supposed to be their free time it’s hard to make that happen.

“Extracurricular activities and social time gives students a chance to refresh their minds and bodies,” Oxford says.

In comparison, there are still benefits of homework. According to the Cognitive Development Centre, decent loads of homework teaches independence, how to take initiative, responsibility, and helps children and all students develop a sense of self-discipline. 

“Homework teaches children to be resourceful. As they must do things on their own, they have to learn how to use available sources of information…” The Centre says.

Those could all be accurate, however, the negative effects outweigh the positives. You can also develop all those life skills in other places such as sports, chores at home, and other extracurricular activities.

Considering all the facts, it’s important we start to prioritize students’ mental and physical well-being. The question of whether or not homework is actually benefiting students should be seriously taken into consideration.