Senior Issue: Lucy Strydesky

Irish Eyes Photography

Olivia Marler, Former Deputy Opinion Editor

This previously ran in our 2022 June Senior Issue.

Lucy Strydesky has traveled worldwide to show off her Irish step dancing talents with her studio, O’Grady Quinlan Academy. Offstage, she runs long-distance events for the Emmaus High School track and field team. She also is involved in the winter track club, Young Life, is a Hornet Ambassador, and works at Potts Hot Dogs in Northampton. 

Strydesky will be continuing her academic and dancing career when she attends Moravian University in the fall for health sciences with a pre-physical therapy track. 

Stinger: What’s been the most challenging part of your senior year? How about the easiest part? 

Strydesky: The toughest part is probably just everything coming to an end so quickly, and not realizing how fast high school really goes. But it’s not the saddest thing because I feel like everyone is ready to leave. The easiest part probably just the overall motivation going to school because just thought like, “Oh, you’re almost done.” It’s really just the last stretch. 

Stinger: How have you changed since freshman year? 

Strydesky: Since freshman year I probably matured a lot more. I probably realize how important school really is. To me, and how good that I really need to do if I want a successful future. 

Stinger: What is your favorite part about being involved in track? 

Strydesky: My favorite part is probably just being with the team [because it] is so big so there are so many different people like that you get to know from all four grades. 

Stinger: What is your favorite part about Irish step dancing? 

Strydesky: I mean, I’ve been doing it for so long and it’s brought so many different aspects to my life. I’ve got to travel all around the world with my family and met so many different friends in different states and countries. 

Stinger: What was your favorite high school memory? Why? 

Strydesky: When I won homecoming queen. All my friends are there in the stands and my family was there watching. 

Stinger: Do you have a favorite bathroom? 

Strydesky: The one by the MMR. Use the MMR bathroom, do not use the regular English bathroom because the floor is always wet. 

Stinger: Do you have any advice for underclassmen? 

Strydesky: My advice would probably be to just stay true to yourself. Don’t let anyone else really get in your way and do what you always think is right. 

Stinger: Describe your high school experience in three words. 

Strydesky: Abnormal. Short. Fun. 

Stinger: What was your favorite school lunch? 

Strydesky: My favorite school lunch will always be the original sandwich bar because the lunch lady always knew my exact order and then chipotle mayo was so good. I was really sad when they took that away.