White returns to home state

A plaque rests in the EHS weight room depicting Kyzir White and his fellow team captains in 2014. Photo by Alice Adams.

Teddy Garvin, Deputy Sports Editor

This previously ran in our September 2022 issue. 

Emmaus High School and Lincoln Financial Field – two organizations joined by Highway 476 – have been connected by another force. On March 26, Emmaus alum, Kyzir White, accepted a one-year deal from the Philadelphia Eagles. 

The Whites are a famed sports family from the borough of Emmaus that have grown their name over a course of ten years. They are still an active part of this school’s community to date. Before White even made it out of high school, his brother, Kevin White, was drafted to the Chicago Bears in the first round of the 2015 NFL draft. His other brother, Ka’Raun White, went undrafted in 2018, but soon signed with the Seattle Seahawks. Kyzir fell in between them, going to the Los Angeles Chargers, the team he has called home for the last four years. 

White’s time at Emmaus was a sight to see. A plaque of him and his fellow captains of the 2014 football team hangs in the team weight room. After a two-year stint at Lackawanna College, White took his talents to the University of West Virginia as a safety, following in his brother Kevin’s footsteps. 

During his time at West Virginia, White racked up 152 total tackles, four sacks, and three interceptions. His breakout year came in 2017, where he helped himself to a whopping 98 total tackles in 13 games, which pushed him over the edge for a spot in the 2018 NFL Draft. 

With the 119th pick of the NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers selected the rising star Kyzir White out of West Virginia University. The Chargers began their rebuild and wanted White to be a big part of it. Now all three White brothers made it to the NFL. 

Unfortunately, it took a little longer for White and the Chargers to put the pieces in place, but in 2021, White managed it himself. White ended the season with the eighth-most total tackles in the league, doubling his tackles from the year prior. Unfortunately for the Chargers, White’s rookie contract expired and extension talks broke down before they could establish a future in Los Angeles. 

Eventually, the Eagles came knocking at his door and brought him a one-year deal worth $3 million guaranteed, with the potential to make $5 million due to incentives. Following negotiations, White accepted the deal on March 26, officially making him a part of the Philadelphia Eagles.