Abdoul Aidara cuts clients hair at his in-house barbershop. Photo Courtesy of Aidara.
Abdoul Aidara: Q&A
April 25, 2024

Monopoly Go craze passes through EHS, collects $200

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

The gaming app, Monopoly Go, came out in April of 2023, and has taken Emmaus High School by storm. Once you click download, you can never stop; it’s addicting. The app follows a similar concept to the Monopoly board game, while including a few different features exclusive to the app. 

The app allows you to play with your friends, attack their landmarks, and rob their banks in bank heists. It includes sticker collections, daily quick wins, and contests, all of which are ways you can win prizes and more importantly, more rolls, by completing. 

I’ve been playing non-stop since August, and I’ve gotten all my friends hooked as well. I love the game. Usually I get sick of apps pretty quickly, however I’ve been addicted to Monopoly Go for months and I’m still not sick of it. One of the best parts about the game is the competition between friends to be a higher level than one another. My addiction to the game has even driven me to spend copious amounts of money on dice. Multiple members of our very own Stinger staff have fallen victim to the addicting game.

The game has been spreading like wildfire through Emmaus. It’s nearly impossible to walk through the halls without hearing its name mentioned at least once. I find myself playing Monopoly Go for hours on end, it’s just that fun! The rush of adrenaline when I get thousands of dice or am only a few tokens away from a big reward is unbeatable. The game is the easiest, most stress free game I have ever played. 

The serotonin I get from seeing how many rolls I have, the free daily gifts, the events, is truly wonderful for my reward complex. I have been tempted time and time again to fall deeper into the world of capitalism and make in-app purchases for more dice, or hats, or pickaxes, or tokens, basically whatever event is going on. I am always in desperate need of dice. I average 4 hours a week on Monopoly Go. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve harassed my friends to give me stickers so I can finally complete a collection. We even have a 32 person group chat that is dedicated to Monopoly go. It is strictly business as we just send sticker requests and harass each other to complete their part of the events. This is the kind of game that would be played under random movie clips on TikTok. It is visually interesting and very addicting. 

I would recommend this game a thousand times over, especially if you use my invite link and give me the sweet, sweet dice, but be warned: 

You won’t be able to stop.