Emmaus basketball looks to end on strong note

Graphic courtesy of Canva.

Joey Draper, Staff Writer

Emmaus basketball started out the season 10-0 and was being compared to the 16-17 team that went to the state quarterfinals. Since their hot start, they have gone 5-4 in their last nine. Now 15-4 the Hornets look to find their rhythm and end the regular season on a run. 

Coach Steve Yoder said he is pleased with how this season has gone so far. 

“I am particularly proud of the six seniors, who despite not seeing much success as sophomores and juniors have completely turned it around for their senior year,” Yoder said.

Emmaus understood the strength of schedule differences between the opening 10 games and the second half of the schedule. Once EPC play kicks off, teams know the games are going to be dog fights.

“I think the early-season success has built confidence for us to be competitive against our tough division,” Yoder said. 

Many of the games can come down to the last possession, or one mistake can be costly. In arguably the win of the season for Emmaus against Parkland the Hornets forced Parkland to make the silly mistakes that ended up costing them the game. This win wouldn’t make or break Emmaus’ season, but it definitely has been the bright spot so far, Yoder explained. 

“It’s been a while since we’ve come here and won,” Yoder said. “The guys played a great game and they deserve this. I’m sure they’ll enjoy the bus ride home together, and hopefully, this can give us momentum for the rest of the season.” 

Following the Parkland game, Emmaus won their next two games over Pleasant Valley and Easton. Their three-game winning streak would end in an embarrassing 55-26 loss to Central Catholic. Give the Vikings credit: they came to win that night and shut down Emmaus, but it was not the performance Emmaus or their fans wanted. As a sold-out crowd headed for the exits, many people were shocked and couldn’t believe what they saw. Central outhustled, outplayed, and outcoached the Hornets on the night. The loss was quickly erased from memory with Emmaus beating Upper Perk 70-39 the following day. 

The Hornets were defeated by Northampton 45-33 on Jan. 25 and fell to 14-4. The Konkrete Kids have swept the Hornets in both meetings this season. Northampton was also the team that ended Emmaus’ 10-game win streak and gave them their first loss of the season. 

The final four games of the season are going to be crucial for Emmaus, and they start with an away visit against Whitehall on Friday, January 28.

“These last four games are going to be against teams who likely make the postseason. It looks like we are really going to be beating each other up these last few games,” Yoder said.

Emmaus was able to defeat Whitehall for the second time this season and win their 15th game of the season. Thursday’s 46-35 win has given a boost to Emmaus’ confidence heading into the final three games of the regular season. 

The Hornets have Allen coming to “The Hive” tomorrow, Feb. 1, and Parkland on Friday, Feb.4, before they conclude the regular season against Central Catholic at Rockne Hall on Monday, February 7th.