From the Sidelines: Emmaus lacrosse looks to continue success

Joey Draper, Staff Writer

This previously ran in our April 2022 print issue.

Emmaus boys lacrosse entered the 2022 season as reigning district champions. The Hornets, who have been one of the area’s best as of late, are searching for a district championship “three-peat.” 

Stu Speicher, now in his second season as head coach, is proud of the start Emmaus has had this season with a record of 8-2 overall and unbeaten in league play (5-0) as of April 21. However, Speicher would like to see scoring be spread out across more of his roster. 

“Last season we had so much attacking threat you never knew where the goals were going to come from,” Speicher said. “This season I feel it can be a little predictable. So I’d like to see the scoring be spread out more, and once that happens we’ll be at the level we want to get to.” 

The current roster comprises a multitude of diversity in experience with many returning leaders mentoring new players. Fresh off scoring his 100th career goal for Emmaus, Connor Flok has been a role model for new key pieces. Sophomore goalie, Samuel Rainford, has tallied 33 saves while freshman defender Reilly Bechtel has had a crucial impact on the program thus far. 

Fellow sophomore Liam Rooney, is starting in place of injured senior attacker Zach Younker who is still recovering from an ACL injury picked up in the fall. Rooney had a season high four goals against Liberty, and has totaled 16 for the season so far. 

“Having to step up to fill in for Younker has been a lot of hard work but I’m loving it,” Rooney said. “Being able to do my part by scoring goals is key and I just gotta keep working.”

Emmaus defense has been very good the last couple seasons, and with returning veterans, Speicher is expecting another great season from his defense. While keeping the opposition out of their own net the recent offensive presence has not faltered. The team’s attack was ruthless last season, and they are picking up right where they left off. Flok and sophomore sensation William Barber have combined for 57 of the 101 Hornet goals scored so far. 

As Emmaus closes out the month of April, the Hornets must remain focused and composed if they are going to finish where their expectations are set. Games against Southern Lehigh, and Perkiomen Valley are favorable non-league games for the Hornets, while crucial league games against Bethlehem Freedom, Allentown Central Catholic, and Easton will be a test for the Hornets before they close out the regular season to rival Parkland. The final stretch of the season is paramount for the Hornets, who look to make noise in the postseason. 

The Hornets were EPC runners up last season and will hope to earn gold this season which would be their first title in 10 years. Districts follow EPCs and Emmaus have won back-to-back district titles, and are hoping to achieve the three peat this season.