Celebrating best Black movies and TV shows

Canva graphic by Clare Sheehan.

This was previously published in our February 2024 issue.

“African Americans and the Arts” is the theme of Black History Month 2024, according to the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. The contributions made by Black individuals in the arts cannot be understated, but are often neglected to be mentioned or praised. Film and television works by Black producers and directors in particular are often left out from the discussion. In fact, despite the Oscar awards beginning in 1929, a Black director didn’t win an Oscar award until 2010, with Roger Ross Williams taking the place in history as the first.

In 2024, it is beyond necessary to celebrate the accomplishments of the Black community. With February’s theme, it too is vital to discuss movies by Black directors — especially since their accolades are often missed in the world of film.

All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt (2023)

Released in theaters on Nov. 3, 2023, “All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt” by filmmaker Raven Jackson is certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and is critically acclaimed for its acting and storytelling. Starring Charleen McClure as main character Mack, Jackson tells the story of a Black woman’s life in Mississippi over several decades, making the common arc of child-to-adult an intricate and heartfelt story. Jackson won several awards for the film, including “Best Breakthrough Director” by the Montclair Film Festival.

Haunted Mansion (2023)

If you’re in need of a fun family-friendly film to watch, Justin Simien’s fantasy movie “Haunted Mansion” might be for you. Featuring a star-studded cast with actors like LaKeith Stanfield, Tiffany Haddish and Danny DeVito, “Haunted Mansion” is a spooky story about a mother (Rosario Dawson) and son (Chase Dillion) moving into their new (and haunted) mansion. The pair recruits a group who must work together to put an end to the hauntings, creating unbreakable friendships along the way.

Banel & Adama (2023)

Senegalese director Ramata-Toulaye Sy released “Banel & Adama” on May 20, 2023, when it was also chosen as the Senegalese entry for “Best International Feature Film” at the Academy Awards. Sy tells the story of characters Banel (Khady Mane) and Adama, (Mamadou Diallo) who are deeply in love and attempting to navigate a tricky familial situation. Adama is to be chief of the tribe he belongs to, but disappoints his community when he says he does not want to fill the role. Banel and Adama decide to live independently for the first time, tackling the challenges they face along the way. With a 95% fresh critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Banel and Adama is a romantic film to fall in love with.