Schweitzer reflects on volleyball career

Image courtesy of Wesley Works.

Cyan Kvacky, Sports Contributor

This previously ran in our December 2022 print issue.

Abigail Schweitzer is a senior volleyball player on the Emmaus girl’s volleyball team, a she has been a four year varsity athlete and is currently s well as being heavily involved in the emerging health program.

Volleyball has been a big part of Schweitzer’s life for awhile now, as she’s been playing for a good chunk of time.

“I want to say I was like 10 or 11, I went to St. Anne’s and they had a CYO program there,” Schweitzer said. “All my friends were doing it. So that’s kind of how I got started.”

Schweitzer attended St. Anne’s all the way up to fif5th grade until she moved to Lincoln Elementary while she continued to be involved with the CYO program. St. Anne’s is a small private school and Schweitzer expresses her gratitude for the CYO program, and how the small program guaranteed all the girls playing time. since the program was small, all the girls got playing time. 

The Emmaus girl’s volleyball team faced an unfortunate end this year in their first round of the District XI tournament against Parkland.

“We ended it in the first round of districts against Parkland,” Schweitzer said. “They’re good, but it was a fun team and a fun season.”

All athletes enjoy their four years of high school athletics, it was fun and exciting, and builds long lasting connections. For some athletes, one year holds a special place in their heart.

“My freshman year, just because it was so new,” Schweitzer said. “I mean, all these years were fun, but my freshman year was really fun. We went to states that year and I was scared at first, but it ended up being really fun.”

In Schweitzer’s freshman year she was one of ten freshmen, and being that there were so many of them, they developed a close bond through all being the underclassmen. Schweitzer describes them as fun and crazy, fondly remembering the times they had together messing around during the season.

Schweitzer has been thrown everywhere on the court in her four year varsity career, she’s played right outside, left outside, and middle. After playing all positions, Schweitzer is more than qualified to know what she likes.

“Anywhere in the front row,” Schweitzer said. “Back row is kind of scary for me, but I have grown to like it a lot more. I’d say right now my favorite is outside, but I like switching it up. I don’t like staying in one place for too long.”

College athletics is a common aspiration for many high school athletes, and that is no different for Schweitzer. 

“I’m planning on [playing volleyball in college],” Schweitzer said. “I’m just waiting to hear back from [what schools] I got in [to].”

The recruiting process is different for every athlete, but no matter who you are, it’s incredibly stressful. Athletes, including Schweitzer can start looking at where they’d like to go very early on. as early as they’d like, but everyone is different.

“I actually think I started sending emails in eighth grade,” Schweitzer said. “Going to combines and stuff like that too.”

A common part of the recruiting process is figuring out your upcoming schedule, entering in as many tournaments and events as possible, and then individually emailing each school that you are interested in.

Club teams are prominent in every sport and crucial to development as they keep athletic skills sharp outside of their high school sports season.

“I played for three different teams, but they were pretty local,” Schweitzer said. “Now I’m playing in KLP, which is kind of far but it’s okay because I can drive.”

High school is full of memories, good and bad, but when you remember such a fond time in your life certain things will always stick out to you.

“A memory that I’m thinking of right now is definitely going to statessstates freshman year, that was fun,” Schweitzer said. “Just hanging out with people before games, like we would make Tik-Toks in the bathroom…There’s so much, each year has been so different, because there’s new people coming in.”

The end of any sports season any time in someone’s life is hard, but it’s harder knowing it’s your last one in high school will not happen again. Senior athletes experience lots of emotions navigating their senior season, but many have gained knowledge as it is their last time ever playing a high school sport. Athletes come away from highschool having learned not only a lot about their sport, but also important lessons to help them throughout their life.

Schweitzer wants to pursue a careerhas the aspiration to do something in the health field, that’s why she has chosen to be a part of the emerging health program.