The student news site of Emmaus High School

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

Abdoul Aidara cuts clients hair at his in-house barbershop. Photo Courtesy of Aidara.
Abdoul Aidara: Q&A
April 25, 2024

Why clubs are important for students

Pictured+right+to+left%3A+Micheal+Akinyi%2C+Ogonna+Nnodimele%2C+and+Nelara+Wijesuriya+pose+at+2023+Homecoming+Tailgate+at+the+French+Club+table.+Photo+by+Emme+Pechulis.+
Emme Pechulis
Pictured right to left: Micheal Akinyi, Ogonna Nnodimele, and Nelara Wijesuriya pose at 2023 Homecoming Tailgate at the French Club table. Photo by Emme Pechulis.

The majority of our time is dedicated to attending school, yet we rarely engage in conversation with our peers. With a large student population, it’s easy to feel disconnected and as if we don’t fit in. This is where clubs become crucial. They offer an opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals who share similar interests, hobbies, and more. 

I had a conversation with Dr. Shimmel, who serves as the leader of the World cultural Club. In case you’re unfamiliar with this particular club, its purpose is  to explore different cultures, allowing members to share their own cultural backgrounds with others. This is  open to everyone who is interested and goes to EHS.

Additionally, I spoke with Ms. Russo who runs  habitat for humanity.  The Habitat for Humanity organization is dedicated to providing assistance to the homeless. The club at EHS goal is to have people know about habitat for humanity. They have posters around  the school. 

Finally, I spoke with Mr. McConville who runs the astronomy club. This club is for the people who are into astronomy. It’s like a getaway for students who just need a place to find individuals with  similar  interests. Mr. McConville stated ¨ Clubs are a great way to meet new people, not to be stuck in the same group of people all through high school¨

All the teachers I talked to agree that clubs are a good place to meet new people, have new experiences, and explore new things.