During the 2022 Shave for the Brave event, members of the community volunteer to shave their heads in support of the fight against pediatric cancer. Photo by Gabe Meyers.
Shave for the Brave returns
February 23, 2024
Graphic courtesy of Canva.
Prisons require reformation
February 22, 2024

Stand-out freshman hopes to set records in track

Jakob Smolinsky, a 14-year-old freshman at Emmaus High School, is approaching school records in boys track, even though he only began running a few months ago.

Smolinsky competed in the 400 meter and 4×4 with incredible times for both. His time for the 4×4 is 3 minutes, 36 seconds and 52.9 seconds for the 400 meter.

“My goal is to break the 400-meter school record of 48 seconds by senior year,” Smolinsky says.

Aside from running during practice, Smolinsky also does intense sprint training, some long distance training, and Fitness Team to prepare for track meets.

Instead of feeling intimidated by being the youngest runner on his relay team, Smolinsky is even more motivated to do well because of this extra pressure.

“They push me harder because they are always on me about getting better,” Smolinsky says.

Smolinsky hopes to continue running throughout his three remaining years at EHS.  If possible, he would like to run for Desales University,  following in his brother’s footsteps, who is also his biggest supporter..

In addition to his brother, Smolinsky’s teammates also support him. Smolinsky says he and his teammates have “great chemistry,” and they “help each other out all the time.”

Senior Connor Dries ran the fourth leg on Smolinsky’s 4×4 team and sees a positive future in running for Smolinsky.

“He’s pretty cool and interactive with all of us,” Dries says. “He’s extremely fast and he’s doing so well.  Jakob’s by far the fastest freshman I’ve seen yet. He’ll definitely be breaking records.”

McFarland also enjoyed running with Smolinsky.

“Jakob is a great teammate.” McFarland says. “He has so much talent for a freshman, and just for a runner in general.”

McFarland says Smolinsky always asked questions to get better and is constantly improving.

“He’s really earned his place just like everyone else on the team, she says.”

Coach Kami Reinhard also recognizes Smolinsky’s efforts.

“He works very well with all of his teammates,” Reinhard says. “He responds well to my coaching, and he always rises to the challenge. As listed as one of the top 20 freshman in the state, he serves as both a role model and motivation for others on the team, not only now, but for years to come.

“I think he has incredible talent and speed,” she says. “I think he’ll be breaking the 400 record by senior year.”