No-go Hoco

Threat shuts down tailgate and fans in attendance; team prevails.

Photo by Bethany Brown.

Devon Helmer, Managing Editor

This previously ran in our October 2021 print issue.

Emmaus High School’s annual homecoming game and coinciding SGA tailgate originally scheduled for Friday, Oct. 15, was cancelled due to an anonymous threat.

Subsequently, the East Penn School District made decisions early in the day regarding that night’s game, specifically, they issued guidelines of who could attend the football game against Nazareth. A district announcement released during the school day, that promptly reached Emmaus High School families, faculty, and staff, gave necessary information about the threat and updates about that evening’s game. 

Our administration is working with local law enforcement to ensure the safety of our students, staff, and families. Out of an abundance of caution, the East Penn School District has made the decision to limit the spectators able to attend tonight’s game,” district officials announced in a statement. 

Ultimately, the game was held, sans its usual crowd. Permitted at the game: participating athletes, students and staff affiliated with the game, in addition to approved media. The stadium was secured by local law enforcement and approved attendees were searched upon entry to the game in order to make the situation as safe as possible. 

The lack of typical fan support did not affect the Hornets; Emmaus beat Nazareth 35-7. The game was live streamed and televised for the viewing of disappointed fans, family, and friends who were unable to attend. 

The tailgate and homecoming game festivities were rescheduled for the next home game, Oct. 22 when the Hornets hosted the Easton Red Rovers. 

The homecoming threat for the Nazareth game came a week after Nazareth experienced another threat. On Oct. 8, their Andrew S. Leh Stadium was promptly evacuated following a bomb threat placed at the game. Their game against visiting Central Catholic was already underway before police cleared the campus. The game continued the following day.