Students win big at Pennsylvania press awards

Graphic courtesy of Canva.

Curtis Jackson, Staff Contributor

This previously ran in our April 2022 print issue.

Students from Emmaus High School took their projects to state-wide competitions, which proved successful; a number of students won awards over a varying span of categories.

Sophomore Emma Dela Cruz won first place in the state from the Pennsylvania School Press Association for yearbook caption writing.

Dela Cruz joined seven other members from The Stinger and Collage Magazine at the Pennsylvania State University to compete at state championships for the categories of writing, art, and poetry. The students qualified for states after previously winning at the regional level in November.

Additionally, the Pennsylvania Press Club recently announced that nine current and three former members of The Stinger staff captured first place in its annual contest for high school journalism.

Submissions that won first will move to the national level for judging by industry professionals.

The students earning top honors include: Ari Bowman, first place in feature writing for “Self-medication: when substance abuse and mental health collide.”

Lin Luo, column writing for “Life with Lin.”

Thomas Hartill, review writing for “The French Dispatch: a cinematic love letter to journalism.”

Sadie Kennedy, cartooning for “Why inclusive sex education is vital to EPSD students and their health.”

Second-place winners include: Bowman, editorial writing; Rylee Dang, feature story; Erick De La Rosa, sports story; Dang, Madison Mauro, and Saraya Velez, environmental story/project.

Third-place winners include: Belle Lees and Emma Dela Cruz, news; Melia Anthony, column writing; Sadie Dallas, review writing; and Devon Helmer, single-page layout.