Abdoul Aidara cuts clients hair at his in-house barbershop. Photo Courtesy of Aidara.
Abdoul Aidara: Q&A
April 25, 2024

October is Adopt a Dog Month

Image Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Adopt a Dog Month is an ongoing promotion that has taken place annually in October since 1981. The American Humane Society, an organization dedicated to stopping cruelty to animals, started Adopt a Dog Month as a way to encourage the rescue and adoption of dogs. Having a month dedicated to sheltering dogs in need has the benefit of saving a dog’s life. 

Founded in 1954, The American Humane Society’s initial focus reflected on the cruel treatment of horses being corrected and has slowly been developed into improving the treatment of small domestic dogs. This program was carried out to protect and find healthy homes for puppies and large dogs living in local shelters too often. 

According to National Today, in 2011, “Shelter adoption rates [had] begun steadily rising, from more shelters embracing a streamlined open adoption process to foster programs.”

A dog owner and foster parent, Janet Miller, details her experience from adopting a dog in need of a loving home.

“I had a very good experience with adopting my young pup from a local shelter. The process was much easier than expected and I loved the fact that they go through each owner very thoroughly to make sure the dog is going to a safe home” Miller said. 

Having one dog owner share this information could lead to an advantage in owners wanting to be a part of such an impactful adoption. 

The American Humane Society chose the month of October to hold this national holiday due to the increasing number of dogs in shelters worldwide needing homes. National Pet Wellness month also happens to be in October. The combination of adopting a dog and pet wellness in the same month impacts the program and benefits the encouragement of helping animals find healthy, caring, and playful homes. 

Supporting this program is as easy as donating to a local shelter, adopting from a local shelter, volunteering as a foster parent, or even sharing your adoption story. All these volunteering options assist the program and decrease the number of dogs attending shelters in the local area. If looking for a shelter near you, it is possible to support any of these organizations nearby including Logan’s Heroes Animals Shelter, The Sanctuary at Haafsville, Peaceable Kingdom, Lehigh Valley Humane Society, and Animals in Distress. Taking time out of your busy schedule to volunteer could impact more lives than you may think is possible.

Adopt-A-Dog Month®