The student news site of Emmaus High School

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

Rose Asleben soars on to the stage

Aidan+Panko+and+Rose+Alsleben+playing+Laurie+Laurence+and+Jo+March+in+the+EHS+production+of+Little+Women.+
Photo courtesy of Lehigh Valley Press
Aidan Panko and Rose Alsleben playing Laurie Laurence and Jo March in the EHS production of Little Women.

Underneath the spotlights of Emmaus High School’s stage, the starring lead of “Little Women,” senior Rose Alsleben, plays Jo March. On the stage as March, she speaks the truth about what it’s like to be a woman, especially in the late 1800s. The protagonist, March wasn’t conventionally ladylike, but instead was someone who’s outspoken and tomboyish. 

Alsleben is a senior at EHS who has appeared in many shows throughout her time in the East Penn School District. Alsleben started her journey at Eyer Middle School and starred in four productions throughout her time there; “Once upon a Mattress,” “Aladdin,” “Puffs,” and “Mulan.” She eventually moved onto high school and has been in six productions with the Emmaus theater department which includes; “Spotlight on,” “Noises off,” “Addams Family,” “Almost Maine,” “Fiddler on the Roof” and “Little Women.” 

In addition, Alsleben is not only talented in her acting and singing, but also in the Emmaus Marching Band. She plays the alto saxophone and is the section leader of the saxophones and the clarinets. Many people would describe Alsleben as a hard-working person, especially in theater and marching band, and as a loving friend to everyone. 

“Rose is an incredibly intelligent individual with an outspoken personality,” says senior cast member, Cecilia Christ. “She cares deeply about her family and friends and will defend them strongly with her life.” 

Throughout the years, Alsleben has grown who she is as a person by being able to find her true self and now she is able to express herself in the things she’s most passionate about. 

One EHS teacher that has a big impact on the theater department is Jill Kuebler, she teaches Broadcast & Film Production, and Theater. She’s also the adviser of the theater club and runs ETV. 

Rose has grown as a leader in the Theater program over the past 4 years through her active participation in Theater classes, the Theater Department, and Theater Department productions.” Kuebler says. 

Alsleben describes how she got into theater from her second-grade teacher as her teacher recommended theater by connecting her similar interests of music and acting. However Alsleben was also able to gain inspiration from actress Anne Hathaway because of the unique way she is able to express emotions throughout each of the roles. She is able to touch someone in an emotional value and has the ability to embody each character she plays.

“I played piano and I like smaller scale productions, like Little Women,” Alsleben said. “I feel like I relate to her [Jo] the most. And she’s also one of the more interesting characters in the show.”

As a senior, Alsleben is looking forward to going to college and majoring in a field that allows her to work with her passion, which is astronomy. 

“I would like to work with NASA on the Hubble telescope or the James Webb telescope after getting a doctorate degree in astronomy.” Alsleben Said.

Sadly, theater and marching band are not where she sees herself in the future, but she enjoyed having these activities as an opportunity to showcase who she was at EHS. Alsleben wants to tell the incoming freshman and new students that want to join the theater department at EHS that acceptance becomes a big role between failure and defeat. 

“Don’t take yourself too seriously because it’s going to hit harder when you don’t get the role that you want,” Alsleben said.