The student news site of Emmaus High School

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

THE STINGER

During the 2022 Shave for the Brave event, members of the community volunteer to shave their heads in support of the fight against pediatric cancer. Photo by Gabe Meyers.
Shave for the Brave returns
February 23, 2024
Graphic courtesy of Canva.
Prisons require reformation
February 22, 2024

Controversial “Clinterruption”

Democratic U.S. presidential candidate Bernie Sanders speaks at a rally in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States October 14, 2015. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson – RTS4IJU

Democratic U.S. presidential candidate Bernie Sanders speaks at a rally in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States October 14, 2015. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson - RTS4IJU

As far as public displays of old people shouting at each other go, Presidential debates generally receive more scrutinization than your family reunions. One recent Democratic debate, in particular, pulled out a significant number of magnifying glasses, all zooming in on four words said by Bernie Sanders to Hillary Clinton: Excuse me, I’m talking.

During a back-and-forth about the 2008 auto bailout, Clinton cut Sanders off, prompting him to utter the statement. Being so beloved by far-left artsy kids who definitely have buttons on their backpacks telling you so, Sanders comeback drew shock from social media. Journalists, feminists, and Clinton supporters alike threw Twitt-fits, with plenty of quoting in all-caps, as if Sanders just called Clinton an insubordinate shrew while wiping his muddy loafers on a portrait of Susan B. Anthony. Nevermind that Clinton is a former Secretary of State with years of political experience under her belt, and that Sanders speaks to all his opponents with the same amount of fire. As a woman, Clinton needs to be treated differently, lest she crumble like a delicate rose in the harsh heat of her male opponents.

Sexism runs rampant in society, politics especially prone, but Sanders’ standing his ground is not an example, and to call it so sets the bar harmfully low. This is coming from a girl who is often asked to recall that feminist thing you got mad about, to which I have to respond, Which one? Rest assured, this will not be one of them.